Albatross Fighters in Action (Aircraft 46)
By J. Connors
Publisher: Squadron/Signal Publications Inc. 1981 50 Pages
PDF 8 MB
The Albatros-Flugzeugwerke GmbH was founded al Johannistahl In 1910 by Waller Huth, a German aviation enthusiast. Huth owned a French-designed Farman biplane, so it Is little surprise that early Albatros aircraft closely followed the Farman format. By the outbreak of war in 1914, however, the Albatros firm was engaged in the building of aircraft of original design. Albatros B and C Type two-seaters gained an early and excellent reputation among German aircrews for their speed, strength and reliability.
By the spring of 1916, the air superiority that the Germans had gained with the Fokker Elndecker was lost. Newer Allied aircraft, specifically the French Nieuport 11 and the British DeHavilland D.H.2, greatly outclassed the Fokker monoplanes. Neither of these Allied machines was equipped with a synchronized machine gun, pioneered by the Fokker, but both were superior in performance. In order to regain air supremacy, officials of the German Air Service called for the reorganization of fighter aircraft Into more concentrated units and better aircraft to equip those units. In response to this latter demand, Albatros unveiled the D.l In April 1916.