Nieuports Fighters in Action (Aircraft Number 167)
By Peter G. Cooksley, E. Cumpian
Publisher: Squadron/Signal Publications Inc. 1997 52 Pages
PDF 35 MB
That the Society Anonyme des Etablissements Nieuport under La Meurthe was flourishing in 1914 is shown by its several addresses, Nos. 46, 48 and 50 Boulevard Galleini and 15 Rue Camille Desmoulins, both in Issy-les-Moulineaux (Seine), and a flying school had been established at Villacoublay.
In January Gustave Delage was hired as the designer. His first project departed from the company's five previous monoplane aircraft in being a near sesquiplane with narrow chord wings supported by 'V interplane struts, however, the lower half-wing, which was intended to provide the seated crew member with an improved downward view, would prove troublesome with a tendency to twist.
This new aircraft was a two-seat fighter designated the Nieuport I0B, the number indicating its relationship to the earlier Type 10 monoplane, and the suffix B indicating a biplane. The Type 10 would eventually be produced in two variants, the Nie.lOAV and the slightly later Nie.lOAR. The designations indicating respectively the position of the observer in relation to the position of the pilot, AV Avant (in front) and AR, Arriere (behind).