Название: German Battlecruisers Scharnhorst and Gneisenau
Автор: Paul Schmalenbach
Издательство: Profile Publications Ltd.
Серия: Warship Profile 033
Размер: 3.9 MB
The Treaty of Versailles allowed Germany to have eight battleships of the Braunschweig- and Deutschland-Class, which had been commissioned during the years 1904-1908. No more than six of these ships could be in service at one time, with the remaining two in material reserve. New ships built as replacements were limited to a maximum of 10,000 tons. Underwater torpedo tubes were forbidden for all other ships including these new ones. The German Admiralty had given much thought to the possibility of building a ship that would be within the prescribed limits on the one hand, while on the other suiting their own requirements. For a long time the preference was for a Monitor-type ship, similar to the Swedish armoured coast defence ships. Then to meet the political change, a high-seas vessel was developed which, in the event of hostilities with France, could cause considerable disruption to the transport of army forces from Africa to France and so delay any build-up on the German western front. The decision was taken in 1928 and confirmed that initially three ships would be constructed with diesel propulsion and six 28cm guns in two triple turrets.