Lohner Type M (Windsock Datafiles 127)
By George Haddow
Publisher: Albatros Productions Limited 2008 35 Pages
PDF 8 MB
IN 1913 Ing. Karl Paulal. the chief aeronautical engineer for Jacob Lohner and Co., of Vienna, had completed the design for the Type M, a two-seat flying boat. Paulal had come to wide notice in 1910 with his creation of the swept-wing Lohner-Daimler Pfielfleger (arrow flyer), the success of which set a fashion for pfielfliegers throughout the Teutonic aviation world, in much the same way as did Etrich's design for the Tauben.
Construction of the first Type M was well underway before an order was received from the Navy on 26 November 1913 for one prototype, powered by a 85-hp Hiero four cylinder in-line engine. Much thought was given to the design of the hull which with its long, pointed bow had fine sea-going characteristics, much better than the punt-shaped bows of previous designs. The crank-case and bearers of the centrally-mounted engine were neatly cowled and its pusher propeller fitted with a spinner which conformed to the lines of the nacelle: cooling was provided by a box-shaped radiator mounted beneath the unit. The wings were of two bays and swept back in the pfielform that had become almost standard on Lohner aircraft of the time.
The new machine was delivered to the Naval Station at Tola on 7 February 1914 and allocated KuK Kriegsmarine number El 7. Ing. Paulal was at Pola on 14 February to attend the official acceptance of El 7 by the Kriegsmarine.