German Fighter Units: 1914-May 1917 (Aircam Airwar 13)
By Alex Imrie
Publisher: Os Publishing 1978 50 Pages
PDF 9 MB
The two-seater units of the Fliegertruppe that went to war in August 1914 were attached to the Regular Corps and Army HQs for reconnaissance purposes. The Germans did not have a machine gun suitable for use in the air and their aircraft were unarmed except for the side-arms carried by the pilots and observers. During the deployment of forces in the West, and in the war of movement that followed, encounters with enemy aircraft were rare due to the small number of aeroplanes in use by each side and the large area of operations. This situation changed with the introduction of static warfare. The machines of the Feldflieger Abteilungen were then used for artillery co-operation as well as reconnaissance, and as a result, aerial activity became concentrated near the front lines.