Uss Yorktown: (Cv 10)
By Robert F. Sumrall
Publisher: Pictorial Histories Pub Co 1993 60 Pages
PDF 13 MB
The aircraft carrier USS YORKTOWN (CV-10) was authorized by the Congressional Act of 14 June 1940. She was the fourth ship in the U.S. Navy to bear the name commemorating the. decisive American victory against the British forces at Yorktown, Virginia, in 1781 during the American Revolution.
The YORKTOWN was built by the Newport News Shipbuilding & Dry Dock Company of Newport News, Virginia She was laid down on 1 December 1941 as the BON HOMME RICHARD, but was renamed YORKTOWN on 26 September 1942 to honor the YORKTOWN (CV 5), which was lost during the Battle of Midway in June 1942.The CV-10 was launched on 21 January 1943 and commissioned on 15 April more than a year ahead of schedule.
The YORKTOWN was affectionately known as "The Fighting Lady" after a motion picture of that name which was filmed aboard her during May and June of 1943 while on her shakedown cruise.
The first YORKTOWN was a ship sloop armed with sixteen 32-pdr. guns. She had a length of 117', a beam of $4' and displaced 566 tons. Laid down at the Norfolk Navy Yard in 1838 she was launched in 1839 and commissioned on 15 November 1840.
Her service life was just over ten years, serving in the Pacific until 1843. when she returned to the East Coast and was placed out of commission at the New York Navy Yard In 1844 she was recommissioned for a two-year tour on the African station, hunting down slave ships. After returning to Boston in 1846, she was again decommissioned.